The physical move of the premises of a British national broadsheet newspaper presented an opportunity for considerable cost savings and culture change
A British national broadsheet with a daily readership over 800,000.
Planning and executing the move of all operations to new premises. The physical move presented an opportunity for considerable cost savings and culture change.
Paloma Consulting were engaged to assist the internal project leader in planning and managing the relocation of the newspaper's offices in London.
"Paloma assisted us in moving all operations to a new site ... a great success, completed on time and within budget."
International Media Organisation
The project involved workflow analysis, the establishment and review of key performance indicators for the group, a transition from print-focus to multimedia, establishment of "hub and spoke" work organisation and seating, and a focus on right-first-time and continuous improvement.
During the reorganisation, processes in all operations were analysed for defects and waste. For example:
• Organisation charts and reporting lines revealed duplication of the same job by numerous individuals.
• Rotas manned from 8am - 9.30pm when final print issue required 24 hour coverage
• Defects found in copywriting, copy sub-editing and recruitment processes.
• Missing steps found in training, communication strategy, budget planning and review, and IT planning processes.
• High level mapping of newsroom workflow and structure
• Daily news conference process and milestones mapping.
• Costs analysis by department to allow current rough-cut "cost per story" to be determined.
• Analysis of departmental shift patterns carried out to determine if staffing levels were appropriate throughout the news gathering/production cycle.
• Editorial ratios (producers: editors: reporters) determined and documented, with staffing levels for the new newsroom determined.
• Second version of organisation charts developed to reflect current editorial ratios.
• Workflow and functionality analysis completed for a range of departments including news, features and supplements
• Proposed pilot layout designed and documented.
• Job descriptions written for desk editors.
• Establishment and review of key performance indicators.
The move was completed on time and to budget, with no disruption to newspaper output, resulting in an efficient multimedia organisation in new purpose-designed premises.
View a testimonial from this client here Move to new premises for national newspaper
If you would like to speak to us about our case studies ...